Thursday, September 29, 2011

Dreams say what they mean, but they don't say it in daytime language.

I had a dream about my Dad last night. This is not unusual since I have had many dreams about him in the last 10 years, but this one was so different. It was Christmas time and my mom called me to come get her from the airport. She told me that she had a "surprise" for me and Brynlee. I thought, being how my mom loves to shop, that she had bought different things for Brynlee. I got in my car (it wasn't my actual car) and was headed toward the airport. I was waiting forever and sent a text message to my mom asking her where she was. She said, "Your dad lost his luggage."

Say WHAT? I was livid because (no offense David) she had called a man my dad when he is definitely not. I called Joey and was saying very awful things when there was a tap on my window.

It was my dad. I am not 100% sure I can finish writing about it without tearing up, but that's what tissues are for. I was just staring at him and he was smiling and motioning for me to get out. I just sat there. I stared at him and stared at him and then I locked the door. He didn't seem to notice that I was just sitting there and then he tried to open the back car door. He got in the back seat. I was staring at him through the rear view mirror and he got Brynlee out of the car seat. He said, "She looks just like me." 

My mom came rushing up to the car and told me that she finally found my Dad. She found him after all these years. After she said that, he told us that he had to go, but that he'd back. My mom got upset and said he couldn't leave and he said he only had a few minutes to see us. I wasn't saying anything at all and my mom wanted to know when he was going to be back. All he said was, "Soon" with a big grin. I didn't see him "leave" or anything. I just sat there. I woke up wondering WHY I didn't/couldn't/wouldn't say anything to him.

Sometimes I really hate dreams because they seem real and other times they just make me mad. I like to dream about my Dad, but I hate when I don't understand what the dream means. I'm guessing it has something to do with him watching over us or whatever, but it just makes me more upset that he's not here to actually SEE Brynlee and hold her.

I absolutely love that Joey's Dad always wants to come over and just cuddle with Brynlee. At this point, she doesn't really do much, ya know? She just coos and tries to giggle. She cries, she eats, she farts. Not much going on in the Petrosian household. But sometimes, when he is holding her, I picture that he is my Dad holding her. I picture her sitting in his lap while he watches football. I picture him tickling her and trying to feed her stuff that we don't want her trying yet. I picture him passing her to me when she takes a big poop. I picture all kinds of things.

I can't wait for her to wear her "Grandpa rocks" onesie because yes, baby girl, both of your grandpas DO rock and I'll tell you all about the one you haven't met. 


1 comment: