Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Healthy choices

As much as I want to stay off the scale, I can't help but turn to it to confirm progress. I know, old habits die hard. I am not an every day type weigh-er, but I do weigh probably twice a week. I know I will be so stoked to write about my first month's weight loss on January 31st! I am doing pretty well. I am drinking lots of water (with lots of lime) and coffee, smoothies, eggs loaded with veggies, and being mindful of snacks and what goes in my mouth. 

I love grilled pork chops and blue cheese asparagus.
This popcorn is delicious. It is white cheddar and comes in individual bags (they are big) for 100 calories. It is an easy and quick afternoon snack at work.

Just some snacks I keep at work in case I get a sweet tooth or need an afternoon pick me up.
We have been doing a lot of perimeter shopping at the grocery store. Lots of meats and both fresh and frozen veggies. H-E-B has these premade smoothie packs with all different flavors. They are pretty good. The one I had today is called the Powerhouse Smoothie. It has bananas, red grapes, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and kale. I mix it with 1.5 cups of Trop 50 and 0.5 cup of nonfat vanilla yogurt. It is pretty tasty. I also have made zoodles (zucchini noodles) twice now. The first time, I made spaghetti and just replaced the pasta with zoodles. I put a little too much oil in the noodles when I sauteed them. I was following a recipe that told me to cook it with a drizzle of oil for 3-5 minutes. I went with 5 minutes. Should have went with 3. Next time, I know. On Monday night, I made this recipe from Skinnytaste: Chicken Lo Mein. It was really good! I have not made homemade Asian food before. It was surprisingly easy. There was a lot of veggie chopping involved, but the recipe does not take long at all to cook. I will definitely make it again. I need a wok though.

Some of the veggies: carrots, green onion, broccoli, zucchini. It also had mushrooms (for Joey) and bok choy.
The final dish! Very colorful and tasty.

I also started running again. I have just been doing the C25k running app in my neighborhood. It's been pretty chilly outside so I have had to layer and wear ear muffs.
Overall, I am feeling great. I am proud of myself. I have been taking the stairs a lot at work. For example, I started going down two floors when I need to go to the restroom and then I go back up the stairs and walk around the floor I walk on before going back to my desk. It is hard to get 10,000+ steps in when you have a desk job. My Garmin Vivoactive does encourage me to get up. I've posted about this watch before. It vibrates when you've been inactive and doesn't clear (it does not keep vibrating, that'd be annoying) the move bar until you've walked so many steps. I also check my Garmin Connect app every day. I have it synced with MyFitnessPal so they are both working together to help me with my goals. I need all of the help that I can get so I am taking advantage of all that I can. :)

Brynlee wants to go running with me. I know she won't be able to keep up for an entire 30 minute run (not that I am there yet). I am going to let her go with me since the C25k program alternates running and walking while you build up to being able to run a 5k without walking. I think she'd enjoy it and she has been asking me every day to go. I had a horrible migraine yesterday so I skipped working out, but I plan to let her go with me the next time I run through the neighborhood.

What healthy choices are you making this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment