Sunday, January 3, 2016

New Years Resolutions

First of all, scratch my previous post regarding Makenna sleeping through the night...*big sigh*...moving on...

Let's talk New Years Resolutions. It's that time again when people make extreme goals. New Years Resolutioners always want to lose weight so they pay for an annual gym membership in hopes that the large amount of money will motivate them to go to the gym (been there, done that) then they crowd the gyms and piss off the regulars. This leads to tons of "gym regulars" bitching on Facebook about how the newcomers won't last long, they don't know what they're doing, they wish they'd give up, etc. This always pisses me off because if you are so into health and fitness then why not HELP out a newcomer? Show them the ropes. Don't be such a jerk. More goals include giving up cokes/sweets/fast food, try to stop swearing, vow to be more positive, less selfish, and everything else. Been there, done that for all of those. I've done well sometimes and other times, not so much.

Here are my big 2016 New Years Resolutions...

1.) Be nicer to my husband. There, I said it. My husband and I tend to pick at each other which often starts in a jokingly manner and then turns into really being annoyed at each other. Other times, I passive aggressively mumble under my breath when I think he can read my mind about cleaning the bathroom or changing a diaper. When he doesn't do what my mind is telling him to do, I get annoyed and pissed off that he is not helping me. He has told me time and time again throughout our 7 years together that I just need to ask him. In my overly emotional woman's mind, I think he should SEE me rushing around cleaning, scrubbing, moving junk from place to place and offer to help. Joey and I will be celebrating 5 years of marriage in March. While our first 5 years have been rough with a new baby our first year of marriage, a major sickness during our second year, a big move during our third year, buying a house at the end of our third year, new jobs, and another kid....it's been five years that I wouldn't ever give back. I strongly feel that we can make the next five years even better and hopefully with less stress. :) I don't know if he secretly has a resolution to be more helpful and nice to me, but he seems to be working on that for the first three days of 2016, lol. I am also trying to love my husband through his love language. I don't really know what his love language IS since he won't take the test (GIFTS?!), but I vow to love my husband the way he wants to be loved even if it's not my love language. We are planning a trip in March for our anniversary. Besides the births of my children, I haven't been this excited in my entire life. So here's to a wonderful year with my handsome, hardworking, intelligent husband...
He did go with me to a Murder Mystery dinner theater, lol. We won!
2.) Declutter. LAWD, can I get an amen? AMEN! Joey told some of our friends that I don't "like" our house (the one we just bought in 2013). That took me by surprise. It's not that I don't like our house. We wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like it. It is just that we have SO MUCH crap that we do not need so it makes our house messy, crowded, overwhelming. One of my top five strengths is the "Input" theme. This means that I have a craving to know more. People who are strong in the input theme tend to collect all kinds of information. This often broadcasts itself in physical collection of things as well. I am SO BAD about accumulating books and holding on to them even though I've already read them, buying little bits of decor for the house but then not feeling like I have the perfect piece to pair with the item so the random pieces just sit in my closet waiting for a match. I am vowing to declutter a room every week this month. I started with Brynlee's room today. I cleaned out her closet and drawers. Feels good! 
I also don't like to have people (friends or family) over because our house lacks decor on the walls. This leads to my next resolution.

3.) Decorate my house!
My main focus is one room per month. My in-laws gave me gift cards to Hobby Lobby (love!) so I bought some items for my mantle and living room. It's perfect for Valentine's Day, which happens to be my favorite holiday. I also don't think it is toooooo "Valentine's Day" that I can't leave the decor up longer especially since the main color in my living room is red. I am on the hunt for the perfect red, black, and white throw pillows and a big living room rug. So if you see either of those items--holler at me. My next focus will be working on the kitchen. My kitchen is kind of a combination of a wine theme and coffee theme. I say this because I have a small coffee bar in the kitchen area. After putting up my wine decor, I am going to work on my gallery wall. I have started adding pieces, but as mentioned in #2, I have yet to put them up. I will be working on it soon! I have awesome ideas for the guest bath (total redo!) as well as the playroom and Brynlee's room. My bedroom and the master bathroom will be the last ones of the list. I also hope to work on the outside of our house when spring gets closer so that we can have BBQs with the people we love! 



4.) Healthy habits. I am not vowing to work out 7 days a week, never eat out, but I am making a point to take care of myself. This is the first time in my relationship with Joey that we have both wanted to lose weight (and save money) at the same time. I think this is great because we can work together and support each other. Like most people, I really have to plan ahead. My biggest struggle is eating the breakfast offered in the cafe at work. It is so good and not expensive. I have to get myself and both girls ready in the morning so I tend to not prep a breakfast and just pick something up in the cafe. Bad habit. Bad, bad habit. We went grocery shopping yesterday (so did everyone else in my town) and loaded our cart and fridge with lots of lean meat, veggies, and fruit. I cleaned out our fridge, freezer, and pantry. We're trying to have lots of easy meal options available such as fish and veggies so that we are less likely to say, "oh just grab something on the way home". Joey is committed more to helping with the cooking such as grilling pork chops and veggies. I LOVE when he grills. I also need to figure out when I plan to work out. The best time to use the gym at work (and it's free) is early in the morning, but that means getting up even earlier (!!!) and taking the girls to school even earlier than I already do plus lugging all of my work clothes/makeup/blow dryer to work in order to shower and get ready. But you know what? If it is important enough, you will stop making excuses and make something work. Besides, I need to use all of those workout clothes that I have instead of lounging on the couch in my Active wear.

5.) Read and blog more. I am committing to reading a minimum of one book a month. The pre-mom Amanda would laugh at that itty bitty goal. I have always loved to read. I could throw down so many books a week! I would rather do that than watch TV yet I find myself watching mind-numbing TV in the evenings because I am just tired. I joined a book club last year, but only made it to three gatherings. The group kept meeting on days that didn't work for me (like dance night) or Joey kept being on call during the week of Book Club meetings. :( I did have fun at the few meetings I went to though. Maybe it will pick back up this year and work better for my availability. I also want to try to blog more. We'll see how that one goes.

So there ya have it. These are my main goals for 2016. We are also working on paying off debt and building up our savings account.

By the way, a certain someone turned one year old in December. More on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment