Friday, January 22, 2016

I have a one year old!

The time between December 23, 2014 to December 23, 2015 sure did fly by. It didn't always feel like it was flying past me, but now it seems so. Funny how life works, huh? There were days that I felt just so exhausted. There were days when I wondered why we decided to have a second baby. There were days I wondered why Makenna is so hard and Brynlee was so easy. But it's all worth it.

Makenna is just so sweet and cuddly. She has this shy, adorable personality. She is so inquisitive. She is just precious. We did her one year photos on a chilly, windy day in December. I had her outfit made by a local lady who has made outfits for the girls before. Makenna looked so cute! It was a bit big on her because she is so petite and I had to throw the pantyhose on her at the last minute since it was so chilly. She wouldn't keep her pretty little gold shoes on because well, she hates shoes. We were able to get some cute pictures of her playing with her shoes so they were kind of like a little prop. She was not a fan of the chilly weather and was not really interested in smiling much. She was also not a fan of the smash cake. I didn't mind as it was true to her reserved personality. She is very dainty and the pictures show that. Here's a few I like:













Sweet, that one. We are having a "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" party. I ordered a party decoration kit from Etsy. The invitations are super cute. We are having cake and a hot chocolate bar. That should be fun. I will post pictures after the party and information about the decorations.

Makenna had her first year well check a couple of weeks after her birthday. As mentioned, she is petite and has been since birth. She weighs 16 lbs 4 oz and is 28 inches long. Her weight went down to the 4th % and height went down to the 9th %. So she went down on her curve. She was in the 10th% for weight and 12th% for height at her 9 month check. The doctor's suggestions were to keep trying to get her to drink whole milk. She's not a big fan. She will sip on it, but she definitely doesn't drink the 18 oz recommendation. She does eat yogurt, cheese, eggs, and still nurses. She doesn't nurse often anymore. I am trying to get her weaned, but am taking it slow for both my own health (you don't just quit nursing cold turkey) and also for her. We'll probably quit nursing before she is in college so try not to worry about that. She eats a lot of food and loves to say, "mMm" when eating. When she is done, she either throws her food on the floor or puts it in her hair (usually yogurt or beans). She also goes, "mmmmuh mmmmmmuh" when she wants more. This girl knows how to get her point across.

She's not yet walking. She stands unassisted. When she crawls, she is crawling up on her feet like Brynlee used to. I take that as a sign that she will walk soon. She cruises around like nobody's business. I think she is just not confident enough to take steps on her own. She does like to walk holding my hands. She waves hi and bye. She also points a lot. I will ask her where is sister, where is daddy, where is Mommy, where's Rita? And she will point. It is also funny to watch her search for her paci when I ask her where it is. She likes to pretend that she is on the phone. If she is sitting on the changing table and I tell her to lay down, she folds her body forward and lays down. It's cute. She likes to do baby yoga a lot on the bed. She LOVES to jump on the couch and jump on me while I am on the couch. She is a climber.


She went to the dentist yesterday (only because Brynlee was going). She did not care for that! The dentist just checked her teeth as she cried. He did paint the vitamins/minerals concoction on her teeth. He also gave me a neat little toothbrush that should make it easier for me to brush her teeth. She doesn't seem to like the one that I use (although she didn't seem bothered by it this morning). She has four teeth (central incisors on top and bottom). The dentist pointed out that her top two cuspids (canines) have erupted through the gum and that the bottom two cuspids are right under the gum line. He said those should come through shortly. I wonder how soon her lateral incisors will come in. So it looks like she will be one of those kids who gets multiple teeth all at one time. Poor girl. She slept horribly on Monday night (up every 1-1.5 hours). She was so uncomfortable and nothing would help her. I should have known it was teeth-related. She slept better for the rest of this week. She only woke up at 3am on Tuesday night, 4:30am on Wednesday night, and 3am again last night. Luckily, she is typically easy to put back to bed because she just nurses and goes back to sleep. The dentist asked me, "So who in the family has the disastema?" I just looked at him with a "WTF" look on my face. Then he said "gap between the teeth". I have a tiny space between my teeth. Joey's space is a bit bigger than mine (not huge). He said that it is genetic. He started talking about fixing it orthodontically once she gets her permanent teeth, etc. We will just play that by ear. 


It is just crazy how fast time flies. Before I know it, it will be almost time to register her for kindergarten (yes, we register Brynlee for kindergarten this year). I am just trying to soak it all in and enjoy my bitty boo.


No comments:

Post a Comment