So the first update would be: we had our second little girl. She's just adorable. Makenna was born 12/23/14 at 5:03pm. She was 7 lbs 5 oz and 20 inches long. Here's a few pictures of her and big sister.

I'll post more about her this coming week.
Secondly, thanks to nursing, I am down 22 lbs. I was down about 26 lbs, but my sweet tooth was OUT OF CONTROL. Luckily, that seems to have calmed down now. Joey is now on board to lose weight so it should be "easier" to make healthy choices to both lose weight.
Third, I have wonderfully fabulous news. As I've posted about, I had gestational diabetes with both pregnancies. Doctors advice mothers who have a history of GD to get tested yearly as having GD increases a woman's chances of developing Type 2 diabetes. After I had Brynlee in 2011, I did the glucose test again at 6 weeks post partum and was cleared of diabetes. In 2012, I did the test again at my yearly well woman check. My results came back in the "pre-diabetic" range. I didn't do the test in 2013. In March 2014, I had my ac1 checked by my PCP. Again, it came back in the pre-diabetic range. When I got pregnant in April, I went ahead and told my OB about my history of GD and about my recent ac1 results. So at 12 weeks pregnant, I saw a high risk OB and went ahead with the 1 hour glucose test. I failed. I opted to skip the 3 hour (as I already knew it'd come back as failed) and went ahead with all that comes with diabetes: carb counting and finger pricking. My high risk OB was very impressed with my numbers at each appointment. At my six week check up, my OB wanted me to come back the next week and do the 2 hour glucose test as it is more accurate than just doing the ac1 blood draw. I got my results back: normal, no signs of diabetes or pre-diabetes. You have no idea how happy this makes me. It motivates me even more to make sure that my results are never back in the diabetic range.
Fourth, I go back to work on Monday. WAAAAHHHH. Well, I have mixed feelings about it. Obviously I HAVE to go back as we just can't really afford to live on one income. Plus, I enjoy working outside of the home. I was actually supposed to go back to work on 3/23, but asked my boss if I could come back on 3/16 (just a week early) because of the way our paychecks run. We are paid on the 22nd for days 1-15 and on the 7th for days 16-end of the month. So if I go back to work on the 16th then I will get paid a full paycheck as opposed to half. First, most of the USA pays little to NOTHING for maternity leave. I did use all of my personal/sick/vacation time (had to) for maternity leave as well as 6 weeks of short-term disability that paid me 60% of my salary. So I have had a little bit of time where I haven't been paid. So that's the main reason I am going back a week early. I have enjoyed being home with the girls, but Brynlee needs to be back in school. She's already been gone for 3 months and I know I don't do everything with her that she does at school. I have had my hands full with Makenna. But I didn't want Brynlee to feel like she isn't important and that I didn't want to spend time with her. I think she mostly enjoyed being home with her mommy and sister.
I promise to update more often. I know I only have one or two people who read my updates, but I don't want to leave them hanging. ;)

Secondly, thanks to nursing, I am down 22 lbs. I was down about 26 lbs, but my sweet tooth was OUT OF CONTROL. Luckily, that seems to have calmed down now. Joey is now on board to lose weight so it should be "easier" to make healthy choices to both lose weight.
Third, I have wonderfully fabulous news. As I've posted about, I had gestational diabetes with both pregnancies. Doctors advice mothers who have a history of GD to get tested yearly as having GD increases a woman's chances of developing Type 2 diabetes. After I had Brynlee in 2011, I did the glucose test again at 6 weeks post partum and was cleared of diabetes. In 2012, I did the test again at my yearly well woman check. My results came back in the "pre-diabetic" range. I didn't do the test in 2013. In March 2014, I had my ac1 checked by my PCP. Again, it came back in the pre-diabetic range. When I got pregnant in April, I went ahead and told my OB about my history of GD and about my recent ac1 results. So at 12 weeks pregnant, I saw a high risk OB and went ahead with the 1 hour glucose test. I failed. I opted to skip the 3 hour (as I already knew it'd come back as failed) and went ahead with all that comes with diabetes: carb counting and finger pricking. My high risk OB was very impressed with my numbers at each appointment. At my six week check up, my OB wanted me to come back the next week and do the 2 hour glucose test as it is more accurate than just doing the ac1 blood draw. I got my results back: normal, no signs of diabetes or pre-diabetes. You have no idea how happy this makes me. It motivates me even more to make sure that my results are never back in the diabetic range.
Fourth, I go back to work on Monday. WAAAAHHHH. Well, I have mixed feelings about it. Obviously I HAVE to go back as we just can't really afford to live on one income. Plus, I enjoy working outside of the home. I was actually supposed to go back to work on 3/23, but asked my boss if I could come back on 3/16 (just a week early) because of the way our paychecks run. We are paid on the 22nd for days 1-15 and on the 7th for days 16-end of the month. So if I go back to work on the 16th then I will get paid a full paycheck as opposed to half. First, most of the USA pays little to NOTHING for maternity leave. I did use all of my personal/sick/vacation time (had to) for maternity leave as well as 6 weeks of short-term disability that paid me 60% of my salary. So I have had a little bit of time where I haven't been paid. So that's the main reason I am going back a week early. I have enjoyed being home with the girls, but Brynlee needs to be back in school. She's already been gone for 3 months and I know I don't do everything with her that she does at school. I have had my hands full with Makenna. But I didn't want Brynlee to feel like she isn't important and that I didn't want to spend time with her. I think she mostly enjoyed being home with her mommy and sister.
I promise to update more often. I know I only have one or two people who read my updates, but I don't want to leave them hanging. ;)




Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Cathy! I've still been reading your blog. I am just not good at commenting. I promise to get better! :)
Delete