Friday, June 28, 2013

Fat Girl Problems

I find that when I am actively losing weight, I am obsessed with the scale...daily. I don't weigh throughout the day, but I do weigh first thing in the morning and I usually weigh in the evening after a workout. I don't let it make or break my day, but I have to weigh myself every morning to see if the number changed from the previous day. It's very frustrating! I hate that I do that, but know that there's lots of women out there who do it, too. I do get annoyed when my weight is higher than the previous day even if it's 0.2 higher. I'm like, "WWWHAT??? WHYYYYYYY?" I wonder why it's hard to comprehend that weight fluctuates daily.

If you're on MyFitnessPal, you know that if you complete your diary at the end of the day, it says something like, "If every day was exactly like this day, you would weigh ---.- in 5 weeks!" That's another thing that annoys my fat girl self. When I completed my diary one day earlier this week, don't remember which day, it said that I would weigh 193.8 in 5 weeks (EXCITING!) if every day were to be exactly like that day. So of course, I bust out the calculator and divide the pounds by 5 weeks to see how much I would average losing a week (1.4 pounds). [Obsessed.] Then last night I completed it and it said I would weigh 195.2 in 5 weeks (1.12 pounds a week...which is great). I'm like, "Okay, I stayed within my calorie range AND ate healthy calories..." So that little feature is another thing that annoys me. Sure, I guess it is sort of a motivational tool for some, but it's 50/50 with motivational and aggravating.

I also get aggravated when I weigh myself on Tuesday and then weigh myself on Wednesday, my weigh-in day, and Tuesday was lower than Wednesday! I'm like, "Damn...shoulda chosen Tuesday as my weigh day." LOL. I've known people who have thrown away their scales, hidden them, or only brought them out on their "official" weigh-in day. I'm not going to do any of those things. I do like weighing myself because it helps me stay on track. If my number was "high" in the morning then I think I am extra mindful during the day about what goes in my mouth. No snacking on Brynlee's food while I make her lunch, no taking nibbles when I am cooking dinner, and no unhealthy snacks during the day.


That's another thing...snacks. I am bad about NOT "eating all day". I have read so much about how important it is for metabolism to eat every 2 or so hours. That's not me. I am making a huge point to eat breakfast for many different reasons. Then I eat lunch. I sometimes have an afternoon snack (light string cheese, fruit, or light yogurt), but really only because Brynlee wants a snack after her nap so I have a snack since I know dinner will be a few hours later. When I was pregnant and had Gestational Diabetes, my doctor and Diabetes Educator both said that it was very important for me to have an evening snack. 99% of the time I do not eat anything after dinner. That was extremely hard for me. They told me to have a glass of milk with graham crackers or something similar. I would seriously make myself do that since I knew it was important for my GD and the baby inside of me! So sometimes I find myself not having quite enough calories during the day. I know that I need to eat between 1500-1600 a day then exercise earns me around 200-250. I don't typically eat back my exercise calories. I may use some of them, but I don't eat all of them.

I posted about my chub rub yesterday. I decided to take Thursday night off from running to let the cut on my leg heal. It is small, but it hurts! I usually use Friday as a rest day so I've got to hit the ground running on Saturday and Sunday. I hope my leg is all fixed up by then.

What are your "Fat Girl Problems"? :)

6 comments:

  1. Well, like you mentioned, lots of women are just like you. Me, being one of them. I hop on the scale each morning after visiting the ladie's room. And I usually hop on after my afternoon workouts. If I see a number that is less than favorable then I've had to train my brain not to let it get the best of me. I used to let it totally rule my mood for the day. After several SEVERAL times of letting the scale dictate a horrible day for me I learned that that is an unhealthy route to take. I've had to learn to say "I know that my efforts are making a difference even if the scale doesn't show it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to weigh myself many times a day. I'm glad I've gotten away from that habit. I've said it a million times, but I really believe you have to change the mental before the physical. My mentality is completely different from any other time I have tried to lose weight and ya know what? It feels GREAT! :)

      Delete
  2. I forgot to mention on your post about the chafing that vaseline works really great for that. I rub it near my armpits, because I get chafing there, especially with tank tops or short sleeved shirts. I've been really scared about wearing shorts because last summer I got really bad chafing between my thighs. However, the last two days I applied vaseline liberally and no problems at all. It's nice, because it's just too hot for capri's. :-) I've heard Bodyglide is fantastic too, I'm just too cheap when I have a large tub of vaseline and it works just fine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does the Vaseline feel gross? I don't have the chafing problem when I wear long compression shorts under my running shorts, but I wanted these bright pink compression shorts so those are the ones I was wearing when I got that cut on my leg. :( I looked at them and they are volleyball shorts! So they are super short. I won't be wearing those again! Which sucks because I have two pairs, pink and purple. I'll just stick to my plain, boring black compression shorts from now on!

      Delete
    2. I haven't tried compression shorts, but the vaseliine works fine with my looser shorts. When I bought them (shorts) last year, and before I started using vaseline, my legs rubbed together so bad I could barely walk when I was done from the chafing. This year, I tested the vaseline while on my treadmill, where I could easily change into capris if I needed to, and it worked great. I have been on a 6 mile run with the shorts and vaseline and have had no problems.

      Oh, I guess you actually asked if it felt gross and not if it works. :-) Anyway, once it's on, I don't even notice it. However, I don't like it on my hands because it makes them sweatier, so I wash it off.

      Delete
    3. I hate Vaseline, but I'll try it! I'll scrub that shit off my hands. Ew!

      Delete