Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Vitamins and c25k Week 4, Day 1

Do you take vitamins? I recently went back to taking vitamins regularly. Sometimes it is hard to remember to take them so I started placing my pill box by my contact case so that I remember to take them in the morning. I used to put the pill box in my purse and take them to work with me. Then I'd eat a small breakfast at my desk while I got ready for my day and then take the pills. Since I've been "off" for a few months, I just take them in the morning after breakfast. I'll share with you what vitamins I take.



First up (not in order of importance): Raspberry Ketones. It is most commonly used for weight loss and obesity. It is also used to increase lean body mass. Some people apply raspberry ketone to the scalp to improve hair growth. Some research in animals or in test tubes shows that it might increase some measures of metabolism.(Source: WebMD) Raspberry Ketones got a big name after Dr. Oz raved about it on one of his shows in 2011 or 2012. He said it's a "miracle pill". Pssh! Nothing is a miracle pill.

I take a Women's One a Day multivitamin. Everyone should take a multivitamin!



Super B-Complex. This one is a combination of the B Vitamins. It's main purpose is energy metabolism. The link I provided lists a bunch of different benefits of taking Super B-Complex. Warning: Your pee will look like Mountain Dew! (Source: LiveStrong)

Calcium + Vitamin D. I do get a lot of sun during the summer months, but I bought the one with Vitamin D for Fall/Winter months when I am not outside as much. I feel like I do not get enough Calcium so taking a supplement is important to me. My Women's vitamin has 450 mg of Calcium and the recommended daily amount is 1000 mg of calcium. I don't ever drink milk, but I do eat yogurt (not daily). I do eat cheese, but I just feel that I do not get enough calcium. Besides, my bones need extra calcium for all of the exercise. (Source WebMD)

Lean Green. This is a green tea extract as a dietary supplement. Green tea extract supposedly works by decreasing appetite and increasing calorie and fat metabolism. It also supposedly helps with energy. A lot of bodybuilders use lean green. (Source WebMD)

Tri-Chromium. There's been numerous studies done about obese and overweight women and insulin resistance. I was overweight when I got pregnant with Brynlee and I developed Gestational Diabetes. My 6 week post partum diabetes test came back normal, but my 2012 check up didn't. I posted about that hereChromium is a mineral that enhances the action of insulin, a hormone critical to the metabolism. It's also critical to the storage of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. There are claims that chromium supplements can decrease appetite, increase number of calories burned, reduce body fat, and increase muscle mass. (Source WebMD)

I use this handy little pill case. I just fill it up and take all of the pills each morning after breakfast. Some people can take vitamins prior to eating, but not me. If I take supplements on an empty stomach, I feel super sick. So when I go back to work, I will probably have to eat breakfast at home before I leave so that I can take my vitamins. I think this is much easier than taking each pill out of the pill bottles. Screw that crap.

Last night, I did Week 4, Day 1 of c25k. And um, it was hard for me. I really pushed through it though. During the last 5 minutes of running the program (I go longer than the program though), I wanted to walk so bad. I looked at my Garmin and I had 2 minutes left. I told myself that if I ran for one more minute then I could walk the last minute. This guy was running opposite of me, drenched in sweat (had went by me a few times already), and he said with a big smile, "You're doing GREAT!!" That was enough motivation to make myself run the last minute. Then I walked most of the 5 minute cool down, then alternated running and walking for the rest of my workout. My goal was 2.75 miles and I did 2.81. :) That's just because I accidentally ran a little far out before I turned back to head toward my car. I almost talked myself into just finishing out 3 miles (SO CLOSE!), but it was a bit dark and late. I didn't leave the house to run until 8:30pm because it was just so hot. My weather app said it was 90 degrees at 9pm. Ugh! But it was actually nice and cool out. I didn't need my Frogg Togg towel that I brought with me. It took me 45 minutes to do those 2.81 miles, but I am more worried about distance right now instead of time. But hey, a 45 minute workout is cool with me! :)

 
I am so proud of myself. I am achieving the goals I set for myself and that just makes me feel AWESOME! What are your goals this week?


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting to Week 4 of C25K. I did it back in the fall and have been running ever since. It really does get easier! And I'm totally headed off to following your links to read more about Ketones and Lean Green. I swear by my morning pack of Vitamins from GNC! Always in the market for new ones I need to add in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Every time I look ahead to the next week of C25k, I think, "How will I do THAT??" Then I do it! :)

      Delete
  2. I had to look up Frog Togg towels, they look pretty cool. Do you like yours? :-)

    Great job on 2.81 miles!! Who cares how long it took you, you did it. :-)

    ReplyDelete